Hopeful future as ART gets customized for success

read

An important speech by Dr. Piraye Yurttas Beim, PhD, Founder and CEO of the biotech firm Celmatix, Inc. was given at the Futures in Reproduction Conference last week. Dr. Beim predicts a bright future for women struggling with infertility. She believes the pairing of “big data” analytics with genomics will help decipher the genetic drivers of infertility and create a new era of personalized reproductive medicine.

”This is a very exciting time for reproductive medicine.”

“This is a very exciting time for reproductive medicine. Scientists are helping women extend their biological lifespan through gamete and embryo preservation and the majority of couples who are able to persist with fertility treatments such as IVF achieve the goal of starting a family,” said Dr. Beim. “But challenges still remain. The people who are least likely to benefit from current treatments often end up in the system for the longest, with round after round of failed cycles. And even people who succeed often have to go through several failed treatment cycles until physicians determine what finally works through a sequential process of trial and failure.”

Genome sequencing success key for ART

“Look at what has happened in the 12 short years since the first genome was sequenced,” explained Dr. Beim. “We now have 30,000 genomes sequenced, and we’ve all heard that the $1000 genome is just around the corner. But reproductive medicine faces unique challenge, and several pieces of the puzzle need to come together before we solve the riddle of infertility and reduce the ‘noise’ in our datasets to simplify the problem.”

Success should increase as costs decrease

As many as 63% of IVF cycles do not result in a live birth. Of the 7.3 million women who have infertility challenges, only 40% seek artificial reproduction techniques. The remaining 60% cite disappointment and expense as the main reasons to avoid ART. With personalized treatments geared toward unique personal data combined with big data, success rates will likely increase and expenses decrease.

Real promise for targeted therapy

“Understanding the genetic drivers of infertility is step one in the direction of personalizing reproductive medicine,” she continued. “Having diagnostics that can differentiate who treatments work for better than others is good first step. But the real promise is then to be able to pair this information with targeted therapies.”

Source: Celmatix, Inc., MedicalNewsToday


 
disclaimer

The information provided on ConceivingConcepts.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her health professional. This information is solely for informational and educational purposes. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Neither the owners or employees of ConceivingConcepts.com nor the author(s) of site content take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading this site. Always speak with your primary health care provider before engaging in any form of self treatment. See our Legal Statement for more details.

Fertility Clinics Directory

Find a Fertility Clinic

If you or a loved one is suffering from infertility and needs help conceiving then we are here to offer help in any way we can. We have over 450 Fertility Clinics listed on our Directory. Click here to search for a Fertility Clinic that is right for you.